Thursday, March 31, 2011

Just a small note

So I was looking around in the app world today to see what worthless free apps I could find (they're always my favorite). I ended up with one called Grass. You can guess what it is just by the title, and yes it really is that worthless and boring. You are literally staring at a patch of grass that will move a little bit when you touch it. That's it. Nothing more to it. I just thought it would comfort everyone to know that there are worse apps than the Guru Meditation out there.

Another thing: why does this app really exist? Are there so many people in this world that never get a chance to play with actual grass so they need it on their iPad? How could anybody ever think that this could in any way simulate touching actual grass???

4 comments:

  1. I don't know... I find it strangely comforting that someone felt so passionately that we needed a grass app that they took however many hours out of their life to design it. Pointless? Yeah, kind of. But I'm trying to imagine the sort of person who would do that, and the possibilities are intriguing--maybe an art student did it for a project, for instance; if you consider the depiction of grass artwork it isn't too farfetched to make it interactive.

    However, that's kind of dependent on how pretty the grass is. I think that's the make-or-break factor here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe that Grass is useless actually is a good thing. Massumi writes, "Philosophy is gloriously useless." Grass=Philosophy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to play devil's advocate for the moment...Professor Bell, grass is completely useful.

    I have to say that I know this app would come in handy for a friend of mine who is from NYC: whenever we drive outside of New Orleans he is always dumbfounded by the large amounts of green. Perhaps this app could act as some sort of gateway (dare I say it, gatekeeper) from a world of concrete to one of grass?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria, Don't get me wrong. I think things that appear useless, create an opportunity for us to create meaning in a more individualistic way. A stop sign is basically that for everyone--grass is ???? for everyone?

    ReplyDelete