Friday, September 3, 2010

First Date: Me and my E-Reader

Upon going to Barnes and Nobles to look at the Nooks with my brother, he actually bought me a Nook. AHHH!

With that said, I already have 33 books in my library (which cost me maybe $15 total), and about 16 documents (meaning I copied several PDFs from my computer over to my Nook folder via a USB cord. That means you can download E-books for free from the Gutenberg project, purchase books not available in your respective E-reader catalogue (how annoying, some E-books can be bought off Amazon, some on BN.com), and even upload your school documents and put them on your E-reader for use anywhere. The two year warranty from BN will allow you to replace your Nook for software malfunction or even spilling OJ on your Nook. It does not, however, cover "mysterious disappearance" or theft. So let's pray I learn how to keep up with this gadget.

Now, I must say that if I wasn't going to be traveling for the next year, I wouldn't have purchased the E-reader. As cool as it is, I love my bookshelf. I still love the weight and smell and process of aging that a book possesses. I am, however, curious of the ecological value of an E-reader vs. a large collection of books, and that is something I plan to do research on for my nature blog Contemplating Nature. Perhaps E-readers will be a good investment ecologically, just as Mp3's are a little more efficient than Cds that only get scratched and thrown away. (I say this, and I still have CDs littering my car) I'll let you know what I find. I do know, however, that all these gadgets (Ipods, Ipads, E-readers, computers) are pretty difficult to "throw away," and might be doing just as much damage as cutting down lots of trees for printing.

I'll report back to you guys soon. I'll also test out my E-reader in various locations (air planes, canoes, French cafés) and let you know how they fare. I'm also excited to see the difference in traveling with an E-reader versus the 10+ books I typically manage to cram inside my bags for two week trips.

1 comment:

  1. Good, I would like to live vicariously through your French cafe experience, s'il vous plait.

    ReplyDelete