Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I can't wait until I've finally got the time....

Hello!

First off, I'm sure it's obvious that I am new to this blogging group and even more so, the 'bloger lifestyle.' This should be interesting....

As I was sitting here staring at my screen of nothingness, I kept reprimanding myself for not being able to think of something to say regarding this issue of literary technology, or how the integration of such technology is, and will proceed to, infringe upon the boundaries that physical literature has set. However, I did notice a common thought blurb that had been floating through my head these past few weeks as I have begun to pack up my orbs of crap and as classes are winding down: "Man, I can't wait for summer...I'm finally going to get to read all these things that I've been wanting to!" 

(Pause)

Wait a minute self...I'm getting the feeling that this statement of potential fun and hopefulness actually negates what I have been doing for the whole year, as well as what I am capable of doing on a daily basis.

I read everyday. In fact, I just exited off the screen of my Yahoo account where I read my daily horoscope (I'm a Gemini if anyone out there is a Virgo, we would apparently do well together).

I'm pretty befuddled with this epiphany of reading something (whether of informational substance or not) everyday. Where does all that information go? Because, I certainly am not going to sleep at night feeling profoundly moved, interested or even slightly curios about Cookie's relationship with Candi Kane on Facebook. It's almost like when reading a novel and finishing it, I can place it down on my desk and say "Damn, I'm good." As if reading something of literal weight gave me direct knowledge.

At this point in my blogging adventure, I feel ready to take the next step in this process and admit that I am one of those individuals who believes that books on my shelf make me feel smart! I know, I know, I should be feeling that I am smart no matter what right? But, it's this rush of accomplishment when I look at all the books that I have scattered here and there and think about the 'journey' and perhaps sometimes 'struggle' of completion.  The fact that I managed to persevere through clumsy words and abstract ideas. The physical-ness of actual novels and books seem to, in some way, define my worth, or feelings of knowledge that is complete and carved into my long term memory. Those items on my shelf also serve as something that people can look at and be jealous of! Not that making people jealous of me is important in life...but it certainly helps bring a spark of color to the mundane.

Although a kindle or ipad will always lack in the sensation department of smell and touch of a "real" novel, I hope to prove myself wrong and am incredibly curious to see if reading a novel on something technologically 'hip' can provide me with the same ambiance that I receive from a physical book. Will a story, poem or novel still be considered completely read if it hasn't been marked and bleed upon with florescent colors? Will I be able to walk away from this new e-reader relationship with a feeling of spousal equality? Or will reading information from another form of a computer screen feel just like my empty inbox or horoscope?

That's all I've got, I've got to go change my facebook status....

1 comment:

  1. Great post!
    I love being able to look at my books and feel accomplished at what I've read, the feeling is somewhat irreplaceable.

    But think about it. I was never one of these people, but aren't people extremely proud of their music collections? The vast collection of cds, or even vinyl records, instills a lot of pride in people. They are music connoisseurs and we should all be impressed, but now in the age of the Ipod and Itunes, that satisfaction still exists without the absurd amount of space that was necessary before.

    Will we be showing off our "libraries" full of books to each other after a year or so on the kindle? I know we all do show off our music collections, so why not?

    ReplyDelete