Friday, May 14, 2010

Robot Babies

I was recently reading a book with many, many end notes. Wouldnt it be great if instead of interrupting your reading by flipping to the back of the book, you could simply click the end note that was conveniently fashioned as a link? Then, if you wished, the end note information could appear as a new window on your screen. Do any e-readers already do this?

Also, Ive been thinking more about computers and people merging into some artificial intelligence singularity. I think if this happens, we should just embrace this new human/robot state and love these super-smart humanoids. Of course if we are open to loving them as humans, we also have to be open to hating them or being annoyed with them or any of the human emotions that can accompany a relationship. Also if we were are prepared to treat artificial intellingence with human standards, then we must be fully prepared to treat one another with robot standards too (whatever they may be) to ensure equal reciprocation. This, at this point, may be something wholly removed from acceptance and love. And since this version of "tolerance" has yet to be negotiated or acheived as far as I've seen, I don't feel optimistic for the (near?) future of "human/intuitional products" that the dawn of e-readers seems (to me) to be promising. So I guess that sort of leaves me where I started: slightly confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment