Sunday, May 16, 2010

initiation

So since I've come back home for the summer I've come into contact with two of the e-readers: the Kindle and the Ipad. My best friends dad had the Kindle and took me on a walkthrough on the cool features and even showed me how to download a book. It literally took like twenty seconds which is so amazing. He loves it; he even bought a little cover so it looks like a real book. My friend remarked when he saw this that he could bring it to church and just read because it looked so much like a song book. I was very impressed by the Kindle; easy to read on, doesn't hurt your eyes at all like computers sometimes do and just the speed of downloading a book and the organization of it was impressive.

But, the second I started playing around with the Ipad at the Apple Store the Kindle looked like ancient technology, just as one of the previous posts talked about the gameboys looking older and older. The Kindle had no color; the Ipad was vibrant inviting and extremely user friendly. I saw a commercial on the Ipad earlier and it said "you already know how to use it." It's true. With the technology of touch screen all around us, we all already know how to use the Ipad. It's just so simple, Apple's trademark. The Apple Genius taught me how to download a book and highlight and bookmark and all the things I love about reading a book.

The Kindle was a great start to the e-reader craze, but I think the Ipad and possibly others that I haven't encountered yet have surpassed it. Kindle is popular for it's originality, but these other types are taking that success and running away with it. After finally using the Ipad, I cannot wait till next year to explore the ins and outs with all of you.

1 comment: